Just like myself, many people I got in touch with regarding financial freedom suffer from some type of condition that makes them pursue financial freedom. I have CFS as you know, but from my experience, the vast majority of these fellas suffer from adrenal fatigue.
I decided to take a look at this condition and find out how it relates to CFS and treat myself as if I had adrenal fatigue myself.
The first thing is to understand what Adrenal Fatigue is.
Let us first go with big channels and known people. Dr. Axe does a good job at explaining that in this video, while providing some initial tips to fight it:
The takeaway is that if you’re sleeping a lot and still waking up tired, struggling with major fatigue issues and other signs (such as feeling overwhelmed, stressed, you feel poor memory, etc), chances are you’re suffering from Adrenal Fatigue, according to Dr. Axe. Some other signs can be storing extra fat.
I realised that this person he is describing is me.
Plus, he says that if you consume a lot of caffeine (and sugar, for that matter), that will burn out your adrenal glands.
Now, let us talk about what is important to improve adrenal function and overcome adrenal fatigue. Of course that reducing stress (both directly and indirectly – such as by exercising) and get good quality sleep at night, and do stuff you like are key to start the recovery, but it goes way beyond that.
Let us have a look at what other people has reported helping with adrenal fatigue.
Dr. Axe partnered up with Jordan and hashed that out in this video:
In this video, Dr. Axe and Jordan recommend a few things that generally help with Adrenal Fatigue:
- Foods: remove sugar, carbs, use bone broth (mostly because of collagen), clean sources of protein (such as salmon), dark colour fruits and vegetables. Also, sour and fermented foods are the best. I LOVE sauerkraut – and I actually do it myself.
- Herbs: here’s a major help for supporting adrenal rejuvenation. Adaptogens such as Ashwagandha, Holy Basil, Liquorice root, Ginseng and Rhodiola are the most popular ones.
- Spices. Jordan and Dr. Axe recommend stuff like Licorice and Nutmeg.
- Essential oils. Holy Basil, Rose Mary, Lavander (for relaxation, anxiety and good sleep) and a few others. Dr. Axe says Rosemary and Lavander work even better together. I’ve used Lavander myself before, but maybe because I used it alone, I didn’t notice good results.
- Mushrooms. Reishi and Chaga are popular on various sources talking about recovering from Adrenal Fatigue. Reishi is often said to be the most powerful substance known to men!
- Nutrients. B12, B5, Magnesium, Vitamin D3, Potassium, Selenium.
- Supplements. Probiotics and digestive enzymes top my preferences too!
Thomas DeLauer has also come up with what he calls an “Adrenal Cocktail”:
This cocktail is composed of 4 ounces (10cl) of Orange juice, a 1/4 teaspoon of Cream of Tarter – because is incredibly high in potassium – and pink salt – which according to him relieves stress from the Adrenals and the kidneys.
Thomas also recommends Ashwagandha – as it increases GABA – which in turn reduces the impact of cortisol on nerves. His third recommendation is taking fish oils, which also reduces cortisol.
Finally, Thomas recommends to lay off stimulants, such as caffeine.
If you are unsure how to test yourself for adrenal fatigue, check out this video:
And here is a totally different approach to heal your adrenals, which I found excellent:
Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum’s suggestions are: increase water, increase salt, and take vitamin C, B5 and Licorice. Multiple small meals throughout the day and high protein. This is it!
And finally, three first-person testimonies, which are concise and that go against some of the things listed before:
I loved them.
Let us then sum all this up:
- Cut off every stimulant you’re taking. Coffee, sugar, etc.
- Start getting your cortisol levels normalised. The first single most important thing that people referred in this direction is fixing your sleep patterns. Go to bed early! I will try to go to bed before 11 pm every single day, and meditate for at least 10 minutes so that I change my brain to a beta state faster.
- Get into a freaking awesome diet and drink lots of clean water. Some of the videos did a great job at explaining what that means. Find what works out for you.
- Get plenty of sleep and stop physical stress. One thing is your sleeping patterns. Another one is sleeping more than usual. Your body is recovering, so it makes sense to give it more than it usually needs to function.
- Take adaptogens. I’ve done Ginseng cycles before and they were super effective. I am excited to get into others. Many people referred to them as scams, but I believe they will do well because I’ve used Ginseng many times before, as I said.
- Stop all harmful/toxic stuff that goes in or on your body.
- Address emotional stress. Most of your daily thoughts are recycled from the previous day. Meditate. Enjoy life. Be grateful. Go into nature. Whatever works for you.
- Stop activities that produce cortisol, because you’re already having too much of it. Sex and masturbation included, sorry.