This page contains a comprehensive list of the best books on personal finance, basic personal finance, entrepreneurship, investing, business and economics that I read, am reading or will read.
My goal is to provide summaries and reviews for all these books. R stands for “Read”, for books I have already read, and T stands for “To Read”, for books I will read in the future. I also rank every read book, from 1 to 10. If you have comments or remarks pertaining to this list of books, let me know by e-mailing me at fromcentstoretirement [at] gmail [dot] com, with the subject “Book page”.
Personal finances and investing
Rich Dad Poor Dad, by Robert Kiyosaki (1997) (R, 10/10)
In this book, Robert Kiyosaki introduces simple, yet profound concepts pertaining to personal finances. I personally recommend this book to those of you who are starting off. It will open your mind and show you a different vision of money. It’s also very digestible and covers a great deal of issues for its relative short size. All it took me to read the book, were a couple hours before going to sleep, for 5 days. In my opinion, the best takeaway of this book is the difference between the rich and the poor, and why the rich get richer and the poor stay broke. You can check out my own summary of the book here, and also my review of the book here.
10 Roads to Riches by K. Fisher and L. Hoffmans (2008) (R, 7/10)
In this book, Ken Fisher presents 10 roads to riches, i.e. 10 ways to become rich. I think it is a very digestive book, written in very simple terms and with very attractive features. For instance, it is modular – each chapter pertains to a given road to riches and you can skip it if you’re not interested in that particular road. Also, I think that concepts and ideas are well structured and categorized. I would also say that this is a book for beginners. It took me about 2 weeks to read the book, for a few hours a day. The best takeway is, in my opinion, the summary of all the ways that were proven to be effective to become rich. You can check out my own summary of the book here , and also my review of the book here.
- The Millionaire Next Door, by T. Stanley and W. Danko (1996) (summary) (R, 10/10)
- Rich Dad’s Cashflow Quadrant, by Robert Kiyosaki (2011) (summary) (R, 10/10)
- summary) (R, 9/10) by Benjamin Graham (1949) (
- Your Money or Your Life, by Vicky Robin (2008) (summary) (R, 8/10)
- The Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason (1926) (summary) (R, 8/10)
- The Millionaire Fast Lane by MJ DeMarco (2014) (summary) (T)
- The Investment Answer by D. Gordie and G. Murray (2011) (summary) (T)
- I Will Teach You To Be Rich by Ramit Sethi (2009) (summary) (T) <– NEXT BOOK!
- Think and Grow Rich by N. Hill and T. Oyegunle (1937) (summary) (T)
- Secrets of the Millionaire Mind by T. Eker (2005) (summary) (T)
- The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous & Broke by S. Orman (2005) (summary) (T)
- Total Money Makeover by David Ramsey (2003) (summary) (T)
- The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace Wattles (1910) (summary) (T)
- The Bogleheads’ Guide to Investing by T. Larimore et al. (2007) (summary) (T)
- The Automatic Millionaire by David Bach (2003) (summary) (T)
- Cold Hard Truth On Men, Women, and Money by Kevin O’Leary (2012) (summary) (T)
- The Millionaire Mind by T. Stanley (2006) (summary) (T)
- The Other 8 Hours by Robert Pagliarini (2010) (summary) (T)
- The Wealthy Barber by David Chilton (1989) (summary) (T)
- Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuk (2009) (summary) (T)
- Beating The Street by Peter Lynch (1993) (summary) (T)
- Real Money by Jim Cramer (2005) (summary) (T)
- America’s Cheapest Family by S. and A. Economides (summary) (T)
- Smart Couples Finish Rich by David Bach (2001) (summary) (T)
- A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton G. Malkiel (summary) (T)
- The Little Book That Still Beats the Market by Joel Greenblatt (summary) (T)
- The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John C.Bogle (summary) (T)
- One up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch (summary) (T)
- A Beginner’s Guide to Investing by Alex H Frey et al. (summary) (T)
- Driven by Robert Herjavec (2011) (summary) (T)
- The Essays of Warren Buffett by Warren Buffett and Lawrence Cunningham (2015) (summary) (T)
- Simple Wealth, Inevitable Wealth, Revised Edition by
- Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis Hardcover by J.D. Vance (2016) (summary) (T)
- Investing For Dummies by Eric Tyson (2016) (summary) (T)
Markets (Stock market, Real Estate, etc):
- The Great Depression: A Diary by Benjamin Roth (2010) (summary) (R)
- The Only Three Questions That Still Count by Kenneth L. Fisher et al. (2012) (summary) (T)
- Plan Your Prosperity by Kenneth L. Fisher (2012) (summary) (T)
- Markets Never Forget by Kenneth L. Fisher (2011) (summary) (T)
- All About Index Funds: The Easy Way to Get Started by Richard Ferri (2006) (summary) (T)
- Pound Foolish: Exposing the Dark Side of the Personal Finance Industry by Helaine Olen (2013) (summary) (T)
Social and Networking:
- How to Win Friends & Influence People by Cale Carnegie (1936) (summary) (R)
- Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi and Tahl Raz (2014) (summary) (T)
|The 4-Hour Workweek||T Ferriss||2007||here||R|
|9 Steps to Financial Freedom||Suze Orman||2006||here||R|
|The number||L Eisenberg||2006||here||T|
|The Simple Path to Wealth||J Collins||2016||here||T|
Self development / Career:
What Color is Your Parachute? by Richard Nelson Bolles (1970) (summary) (R)
Entrepreneurship, startups and business:
Rework (2010) (summary) (R)
Note: some titles may have been shortened.
I will make my very best to read two of books a month (and leave a summary/review here). The links to the books are affiliate links (which means I get a commission if you buy the books through my blog), which is a way to support this blog and that I sincerely appreciate it.
If there is a specific book you would like a summary for, shoot me a message. Note that this section will only contain the best books on personal finance, entrepreneurship, investing and startups. I will also add books written by myself, during 2017.
PS: I would like to find great books/sites on certain topics, including: make money online, MTTB mobe, marketing certification, craigslist rental scams, how to make extra money, earn amazon gift cards and semrush. If you have some advice on books for these topics, please let me know! I won’t necessarily review them for my blog, but I am interested in the topics.
Disclaimer: This blog, “From Cents To Retirement”, is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.